Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Urban Decay "Naked" Palette

I only learned how to put on makeup when I was in 3rd year College already. Yep, I know I'm a loser. In fact, I don't think I would have learned how to put on makeup without youtube, which is literally the deus ex machina in my life filled girlish woes. I watched countless numbers of videos in youtube just to get a feel of how to properly apply makeup. After awhile, I noticed that several of the makeup gurus that I follow use this brand called Urban Decay, which made me really want to try it out! Most of them really vouch for the effectiveness of the Primer Potion, but I've also heard several good reviews for the eyeshadow products, specifically the NAKED palette.

Unfortunately, Urban Decay is not available in the Philippines (though you can get it from online sellers, but I was just too scared to do that). Again and again, I asked friends, relatives and colleagues who are in America (or those who know someone from America) if they could purchase this palette for me. After years of waiting, Tita Alma, my savior finally heeded my plea. Her sister recently came home from Qatar and she was able to buy this there from a Sephora outlet in Doha. The price there is 236 QR, which is more or less equivalent to 2800.00+ PHP.

Below are some pictures of the product:

This is the NAKED palette. It comes with a small Eyeshadow Primer Potion (3.7 ml). The case has a velvet finish, which you have to take care of if you want to keep it clean!
 




These are the gorgeous colors of the NAKED 1 palette, which contains the "basics" or the neutral colors. There is also a NAKED 2 palette, which you can read about more in this website. I preferred the NAKED 1 palette since the NAKED 2 palette had too many dark colors. I just think that NAKED 1 has more wearable colors.
 
 This is the famous Eyeshadow Potion Primer of Urban Decay. I have yet to try this one out yet, but my cousin told me that Palladio's Herbal Primer is more or less similar to this one. The latter can be considered as a 'dupe' since it is much cheaper than this one. 

 This is what it looks like inside. As you can see, some are matte and some are shimmery.
 
 There are quirky labels underneath each eyeshadow pan and they are as follows: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep and Gunmetal.

 The eyeshadow brush also has a quirky name. It's called "Shadow Karma Brush." It has soft bristles, but it doesn't really pick up much product.

 Sorry for the blurred quality. I tried swatching these shadows: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck and Half Baked. I had a hard time swatching Naked since it is not very pigmented, but I loved Sidecar and Half Baked. Buck would work well as an eyeshadow for the crease part.
 
 The swatch for these colors are much better: Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep and Gunmetal. I love the Darkhorse and Hustle shades. 


I tried using some of the colors without the primer and this is what it looks like: 


During my first attempt of using this palette, I did not use a primer. The colors proved to be pigmented enough even without the primer and they are surprisingly easy to blend. I used Sidecar as my base color followed by Darkhorse, which was applied on the crease part of my eyes. I put Hustle on the lower lash line topped with Half Baked on the inner corners of my eyes. Finally, I lined my upper lid with Creep. 
 

Photos with my eyes closed. (Sorry for the bad quality and the shadows; I'm only using a digicam so the images are kinda blurred).
 

Photos with flash. The colors are much more vivid and shimmery. 
 

 I tried a close- up shot of my eye, but the colors were not very noticeable. At times like this, I suddenly wish I had an SLR to capture it better.  (=.=)'' Oh yeah,  I also didn't wear any mascara; in fact, I don't really use any mascara anymore since my lashes are very weak!

Overall, I AM happy with this product. The colors are gorgeous. The shadows are pigmented. I love the free brush and the potion primer. My dream came true! However, I think that there are also products that are available here in the Philippines, which might be as good as this one such as the eyeshadows of The Balm or Smashbox. It IS also kind of expensive, but for its quality, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment